Gary: My best wishes to you in your 40th season with QS,

Gary

Gary: My best wishes to you in your 40th season with QS,

Post by Gary » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Postby jimbunting » Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Gary :

Its a great day to be racing, old friend.

My very best wishes to you and your entire crew, on this first day of the 2013 season.

It looks like the off season changes and physical improvements are all in place, and now the focus will be on fine tuning the car, to find those elusive tenths of a second, that make the difference between first and fourth.

As all ways the Quaker State 36 will be the best looking Late Model out there at Sun Set. Lets hope that the best appearing car also has lots of GO in it, too.

Who would have though that you would be where you are now, when you and I were working in that old wooden garage, with a dirt floor, in the cold of winter ? Seems like only yesterday, that you were deciding if we could have hot dogs and a coke, after the race, or if that money had to go to a more important thing....like gas in the tow vehicle !

I'll be there, tonight.

Jim B.
jimbunting Posts: 75Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Gary: My best wishes to you in your 40th season with QS,

Postby jimbunting » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Gary:

It was a tough way to start the season......... But I was really impressed with the way that your crew dealt with the damage that you sustained in the first lap.

With Dave, Big Jim and Eddie, plus all the others, it was a real team effort, to get the broken parts off, and new ones installed, set the ride height, and get the car pointing more or less, in a straight line.

Brenda and I are flying out to Vancouver today ( Tuesday ) for 2 weeks to see her Daughter and Grand Daughter. It will be my first time on the west coast, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be reading this site, while I am away, to keep in touch with your racing.

Adversity is the test of a person's fortitude, and I while I know that you were disappointed, it will get better, my friend.

Jim.
jimbunting Posts: 75Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Gary: My best wishes to you in your 40th season with QS,

Postby Gary » Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Hey Jim, thanks for your kind words. It was a tough start, but we'll bounce back. Naturally I was disappointed, but by Sunday after church I spent most all day stripping the car, then headed to McColl's on Monday to see how bad or good all the key componets were. We needed 2 uppers. 2 shocks, 2 ball joints, one RF spindle, RF upper and lower control arm and one left upper, 2 doors, and one rocker panel. The lower control arm will be repaired for a spare, and the bent spindle will also serve as a spare for emergency only.

My crew were awesome. David, Bob, Jim, Matt, Eddie, Ryan and Urban all contributed to get us back out, beat up, but back in the race. We did not miss any races.

I still have a lot to do. Bob came over yesterday and we put all the suspension together. We need some bars replaced on the left side and those will be done Wednesday, then the doors put on, then the car scaled. We should be good to go by Thursday night.

Jim, I sometimes think of the day we met in 1969 heading to Cayuga with the Mini Stock. It's been a non stop day (45 years) and does seem like yesterday.

Thanks for your support always, have a great visit out west and hope to see you soon.