Diary Of A Season 2020

Gary

Diary Of A Season 2020

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm

I will be soon posting pictures of our new car and the progress we have been making. We are blessed to have 5 of our past sponsors stay with us in 2020, Quaker State, Lincoln Electric, Permatex, PPG, Flamboro Machine Shop and Brand Apparel.
We also will include PYE Chevrolet on our sponsor team for 2020.
More posts and updates soon.
Thanks for visiting our site and have a safe and blessed 2020.

Gary

Re: Diary Of A Season 2020

Post by Gary » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 am

It's been a while I know but things are coming together. I am currently waiting to hear from a few sponsors I have reached out to with proposals. No word yet, and as soon as I hear from them I can speed up the process to get the car lettered.
Sponsors
Quaker State
Quaker State is with me in 2020 for a world record 47 years Sponsor Driver partnership. I am hoping to get one more three year agreement with Quaker State to take us to 50 seasons together, that would be incredible....God willing we can agree to an extension within the next few months.
Lincoln Electric
Lincoln Electric will be with us in 2020. This sponsorship is another long relationship dating back to 2003. I am very thankful to continue with LE part of our team. They are a nation wide company and supporting me in the Maritimes works good for both of us.
Grindstone Property Maintenance
Jay has been a great friend over the years and has supported me for 13 seasons including 2020. Jay gets involved with my team, even driving for me on 2 nights in 2016.
Permatex
2020 will be our 8th season together. I am blessed to have Permatex with our team this coming year. They are a nation wide corporation selling their products in many stores coast to coast. I get opportunities to show our car at vendors that sell their product.
PPG
I have been proudly promoting PPG and their products for 8 years. The paint and other products from PPG were used to color our 2020 paint scheme.
FMS
John at Flamboro Machine Shop has been an associate sponsor with me for many years, and though he won't benefit by helping me in the Maritimes he will support us knowing that we will be coming back to Ontario in the fall.
Brand Apparel
We will enter our second year together. Brand Apparel, located in Ontario, supplied my t-shirts and hoodies for 2019 and will do the same in 2020. We are working on products for this coming season.
The above sponsors, all from 2019 and prior, have agreed to continue with Gary Elliott Motorsports in 2020.

Here is our newest sponsor for 2020
PYE Chevrolet, Buick GMC
I am excited to announce that our 2020 race program will include PYE Chevrolet, Buick GMC on our 2020 Chev Impala. I met with the owner in October and we came to an agreement within a few days. Since our agreement in early November I have leased a 2020 GMC truck to haul my race car and trailer. I will be doing shows for PYE at their store location and for all my sponsors in the spring and throughout the summer of 2020.

Race Car
Our 2017 Cole Butcher race car will be ready in 2 weeks or so. It's 95% ready now, then gets lettered and set up. Cole has been very good to me helping get the chassis powder coated and the interior painted. I will post some pictures soon on the progress of our new Distance 101 Jeff Taylor race car.

Pit Crew
I will soon have a complete pit crew to announce. I am waiting for conformation on two people and once I have that firm I will post who they are. I am excited with this group, most all involved some way in racing and who are not too far away and have indicated they will be with me every race in the Maritime Pro Stock Tour.

Thanks for visiting our site.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:28 pm

I am finally able to post some progressive pictures of my new Pro Late Model. New to me, it's a 2017 Distance 101 chassis built by Jeff Taylor in the US. This car was brand new the last time I raced in Nova Scotia in the Maritime Pro Stock Tour.
It was be a great car for me and will help us run consistent in the 2020 season.
Here are some pictures taken from the first time I saw it until February 18th when I took these last pictures. I must say I was having butterflies....I always get them 10 minutes before a race, not 10 weeks :)
2019-2 - Copy.JPG
2019-2 - Copy.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
20191022 (7) - Copy.JPG
20191022 (7) - Copy.JPG (71.92 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
20191022 (3) - Copy.JPG
20191022 (3) - Copy.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 7198 times
20191031 (4) - Copy.JPG
20191031 (4) - Copy.JPG (79.76 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
The car was then sent out for powder coating. There was no way I could have a red chassis, not with Quaker State being my primary sponsor for decades. I decided on a black chassis and interior satin black. Interior panels and body panel paint was supplied by PPG.
20191220 (3) - Copy.JPG
20191220 (3) - Copy.JPG (94.52 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
20191227 (21)  - Copy.JPG
20191227 (21) - Copy.JPG (68.99 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
20191227 (24)  - Copy.JPG
20191227 (24) - Copy.JPG (71.69 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
Meanwhile the body panels were getting painted at PYE Chevrolet Buick GMC in Truro.
20200102 (1) - Copy.JPG
20200102 (1) - Copy.JPG (64.68 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
20200207 (6) - Copy.JPG
20200207 (6) - Copy.JPG (41.39 KiB) Viewed 7194 times
20200209 - Copy.JPG
20200209 - Copy.JPG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 7194 times
200219 (2) - Copy.JPG
200219 (2) - Copy.JPG (64.92 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
Final set up on the car by Cole Butcher. He is very smart working on race cars, very focused and he's a great racer as well. Nice family.
He brother will be racing again this year and they both run very strong.
200219 (4) - Copy.JPG
200219 (4) - Copy.JPG (65.73 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
200219 (11) - Copy.JPG
200219 (11) - Copy.JPG (69.65 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
200219 (5) - Copy.JPG
200219 (5) - Copy.JPG (69.86 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
Finally here is a concept of what it will look like once it's lettered.
Concept-Final-Kirk - Copy.jpg
Concept-Final-Kirk - Copy.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
But with Chrome wheels.......what else :lol:

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:54 am

I finally got my car home. It's not quite lettered fully yet but will be by Mid March. The car will look really good once it's done and with Chrome wheels although the black wheels make it look meaner.....I don't need to look mean, but it is an option :lol:

I am please to announce my 2020 crew is just about complete. I was blessed with my crew in Ontario and will miss all of them, although they can help me when I return to Ontario in September 2020.

I am very thankful for the men who have offered to pit for me in 2020. Here are the names of those committed to be with me for the 12 races in the Maritime Pro Stock Tour.
Ray Doucette.....Joey Livingstone.....Tyler Hallahan.....Bob Landry.....Jeff DeCoste.....Darren Fleming...... Wade Bishon
I understand they all can't make every race, but these 7 have said they will make all or most, and that's perfect.

I will be posting more pictures of the car soon, but here is one to give everyone an idea what the car will look like.
Thanks for visiting our site. :)
202026 (3) - Copy.JPG
202026 (3) - Copy.JPG (209.06 KiB) Viewed 7126 times

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:39 pm

It's been close to a month since we started closing things down. Some Tim Horton's are still open and fast food outlets but certainly they will be closing as well. Not sure I agree with that because people will go nuts if they are locked inside and not seeing anyone or being able to go anywhere. Actually we still can see people, just not in close quarters. So meet somewhere in a parking lot, there's lots empty now and stay in your car and talk to family or friends.
I think the most important thing we can do is to pray to our God for a cure, for quick distribution of a drug. There have been many discussions on news outlets (I watch FOX) that suggest there are cures. The vaccine from other viruses have shown they help, from Malaria and the Swine Flu, also blood from those who have recovered. The issue is getting at these and giving them to those who are sick. Hospitals are deluged with so many people coming in they can't focus on a cure only helping those who come in. Our seniors are being left out (not on purpose-although some countries are choosing to leave the oldest and help younger) because there is not enough staff, or medicine.
Donald Trump said he wants none to die, one death is too many and I believe him. He also says he wants to get the country working again. He said Easter, and yes that would have been great, but it's too soon because cases keep growing. Almost a million world wide infected, although there were 61 million infected in 2009 with the Swine Flu just in the US.
We are helpless to contribute because we can't go anywhere, but we can be proactive.
1) continue to pray for a cure, for those who have lost loved ones, for those who are sick
2) encourage one another by calling and being positive. We need to laugh yes, but we also need to show compassion, not panic to our family and friends.
3) keep busy at home or with family. Play games, watch movies together, go for walks and let your family know you love them, and maybe talk like you never have before with each other.
4) and pray again.

The other very serious issues with this virus and all the business shut downs is the financial crisis. Millions of jobs in North America are closed, some for good. That means many millions will be out of work and without a job once we get the green light. Here 's the catch 22-if we stay closed for too many more weeks the results work wise will be quite possibly irreversible, many business owners will close for good. But we have to do that to stop the spread of this virus. Just pray for this.

I am keeping busy in the shop getting things done to be ready for our season opener, whether it's May 16th or in July. The car is ready, just needs a few small things to get done. Radios are set, now I need to test them with my crew, but we decided to take a few weeks off so we don't get infected.
I just got my tool box painted and it looks so good. I am way ahead of any season so far but not quite there yet.
Things I have left to do are:
1) start and run the car
2) get 4 more rims (Chrome) they're on order
3) sort our my tool box putting enough tools in the new pit cart
4) get autograph cards made...waiting for a good picture of the car
5) getting crew shirts made....should have them by June I hope
6) clean the trailer and load spare parts etc.....once it warms up and that will be soon....temperature is going up

My new crew consists of the following maritime boys
- Ray Doucette- he has lots of experience and wants to spot for me when Jim Hulzinga isn't here
- Bob Landry- he has 40 years experience racing Mini Stocks and Thunder Cars
- Tyler Hallahan- he is the grand son of Maritime Hall of Famer Jim Hallahan, who I watched when I was a youngster 150 years ago :lol:
- Jeff DeCoste- Jeff helped one of the other teams in the Maritime Pro Stock Tour in 2019 and is very excited to be with us
- Kerry Fry-most recently joined and he is a go cart Champion and like the rest wants to learn how a Pro Late Model works

I will also have my son David, and past Crew chief and spotter Jim Hulzinga be at a few races and they will be a great help for me.
If we race I will be happy....why?....because this virus will be beat. And once it is, it will be time to focus on different things.
Our governments will need to add to their budgets funds to increase hospital staff, supplies and most of all science studies on the next virus. We cant be unprepared like we are now, and we can't go to hospitals and wait 6 hours to see a Doctor. Why are students getting a degree in health care, Doctors, nurses etc. only to find out there are no openings.

I don't want to be negative but rather look at the good that may come from this. Once we get through this I hope we will live much better, be closer to our seniors, love them, and care about each other more. Hope all of you are safe and praying for your safety and your families.
God bless you all.

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Time for an update.
First I must thank God for all the many blessings He has given me. I am truly blessed so much and very thankful.
I recently have been busy getting my equipment and then getting it painted. When I got the car back from Cole Butcher, he asked me if I had a pit box and I replied "no". He said "you better get one, there will be at least 4 races you will need to use a pit box".
So I went to Canadian Tire in Truro and saw a great tool box that would work as a pit box. I have a huge 2 box set up for the trailer, but no way would we try to get that into a pit row area with the small caster wheels, plus it would have 10 times more than what we would need.
200327 (3) - Copy.JPG
200327 (3) - Copy.JPG (70.56 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
200331 (1) - Copy.jpg
200331 (1) - Copy.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
April 5 014 - Copy.JPG
April 5 014 - Copy.JPG (91.66 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
I got the tool box from Canadian Tire in exchange for doing 3 shows there this summer to support the kids sports program "Jump Start". I am very thankful for that and can't wait to do the shows.
I knew for sure the small casters, would be tough on gravel I called Jim Sweers and he suggested getting a cart to put the tool box on. I checked out Princess Auto and got a wagon good for 1200 pounds load, more than I need but I went with that because of the big tires to make it easy to move through the gravel. The plan is to mount it to the new tool box to the wagon.
I also got a second wagon for the generator, jack and stands, also 1200 pounds load.
We needed a dolly, and roll offs. I got the rolls offs made in Debert by Brian MacDonald welding. They're steel, so heavy, but we only use them in the garage for scaling and maintenance on the car.....but I very much needed them.
200324 (3) - Copy.JPG
200324 (3) - Copy.JPG (90.84 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
200324 (5) - Copy.JPG
200324 (5) - Copy.JPG (76.24 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
200328 - Copy.jpg
200328 - Copy.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
The dolly and air tank I bought at Princess Auto and now we are set equipment wise.
200407 (4) - Copy.jpg
200407 (4) - Copy.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
200407 (3) - Copy.jpg
200407 (3) - Copy.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
200407 (2) - Copy.jpg
200407 (2) - Copy.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
I am so thrilled to be this far ahead, but more, to be this professional, I have never had time before because of working on two race cars and usually getting one ready for a car show.
Perhaps my biggest accomplishment was getting my scrap books caught up and organized. They are amazing now. It took over 60 hours to get them all caught up, and about $400 because I had to download hundreds of pictures from my photo files from each year I raced, take them to Staples and have them printed and placed in the designated year. Once I got them caught up....2013 to 2019, I decided to go back to the beginning and clean up and organize all the scrap books. I am so nuts when it comes to being organized, but it's the only way to have my history complete....and it is now.
I will post the pictures of the library tomorrow night. :mrgreen:

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am

Update
First I want to thank everyone coming on here to visit our site. I hope you and your families are safe and free of this virus. I truly hope we can get back to working and open up our countries and the sooner the better. Many people are suffering from lost wages, businesses in trouble, so much stress and pressure because they had to shut down. My prayer is they are safe health wise, but that they recover quickly financially once they get back to work. Praying God gives the scientists the wisdom to find the cure, hopefully they are asking for help and praying.....but asking a scientist to pray might be over the top, although many scientist are believers. God will give them the wisdom to destroy this evil virus.

I appreciate and love racing and all it's done for me in my life. It's absolutely all about the people I've had the honor to meet, my crew members, some coming on board who I never met before, the race promoters, their families and staff, the many fans. the sponsors of my own car and the series and of course the competitors. Of course support from my own family has been very appreciative.

I love all aspects of this sport. It's about the people yes, but it's also about racing. I come to race, winning is a bonus. If a race was full of 24 teams with brand new $120,000 Pro Late Models, a brand new car is going to finish last. My answer to that issue is simple....go and race, if you win it's a bonus, but we call it racing and no matter where you finish you got to race, and for that reason alone you're a winner.

So far we are very close for the season opener whenever that will be. I assume it will be a month after our country gets the lockdown removed. I'm hoping for mid to late June. It may affect my Ontario races if the Maritime Pro Stock Tour uses all of September and some of October to complete their schedule. My current schedule consists of 5 races in Ontario beginning at Sunset Speedway in the Modified in late September. I won't know more until races get cancelled and rescheduled. I will update that once I know.

I have yet to start my car. Concentrating now on getting all the equipment done and painted. I am miles ahead of any year previous for a few reasons. I'm only racing one car, and the one I bought was race ready once it was painted and set up by Cole Butcher.
This extra time allowed me to fix my shop, set up the museum/man cave, get all my scrap books completed and work on pit equipment, getting them painted and lettered.

Next we will clean and pack the trailer, its been certified and ready to go, needs a good cleaning. Then spare parts, tools, and other race gear will be loaded in the trailer. My new pit box, much nicer than any before, is perfect for what we are doing.

Our 2020 Crew
Maritime Members
Here are their names, I will do a resume on each one for the next post.
Ray Doucette
Shannon Riley
Bob Landry
Tyler Hallahan
James Hallahan
Jeff DeCoste
Kerry Fry
Thomas Doucette

Ontario Crew
David Elliott
Jim Hulzinga
Gehrig Halliday
Louie Halliday
Troy Stere
Stephen Lippert
Lloyd Lariviere
I've put all the names that may make it to one of the 5 races I have scheduled in Ontario. I don't think all of them will make every race, but some might make one to three or four. I appreciate any help I get from those who donate time to be part of my team.

Note
Some pictures from my older posts 2011-2017 had pictures but they are not showing up now because of computer issues. My site wasn't protected properly. I paid money to have it protected and the company didn't apply it. Then about 400 people computers bots etc contaminated my site and much was lost especially in 2019. I didn't lose the stats in 2019 but the write ups and pictures.
You will notice towards the end of 2019 all was normal.
I hope to go back into 2014-2018 and reinstall the pictures but not sure I can do that but I will try. I'm hoping now with all the protection I have and a good admin person helping me I can keep updates without losing any pictures.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:10 am

I will soon have bio's on our crew members from the Maritimes. They are sending me info now and I should have it posted by early next week.
Meanwhile I am finishing the list of things to do on the car and should hopefully be ready in 2 weeks.
Because of the shut down my crew have stayed away, we want to adhere to the rules by the government for the virus.
Hopefully our country opens up soon. I'm thinking we will, shortly after the USA opens.
We need to very badly and soon. The consequences of being closed much longer could be devastating for many families and small businesses and we don't want that too happen.
I am thinking we will be racing possibly by the end of June or early July. My schedule could change, so I may create a new schedule and let everyone know where and when we hope to be racing.
Pray for a cure, and that cure to come soon, for those sick and for protection for your family and friends. Pray for comfort for those who have lost loved ones
God bless you all and be safe.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:22 am

I must say it is very frustrating not knowing what will happen in 2020. NASCAR was told they could race at Richmond but no fans. That would work for them because they would get revenue from TV rights. That won't work in Ontario or the Maritimes because fans are the revenue source. The only way we can race is if the Provinces open up. That should happen, but with so much fear being pumped out every day and the only light is at the end of a long long tunnel, who knows when and if we can get racing in this season.
I want to do shows as well, but it's hard to do events with the 6' rule, plus if I sign an autograph card, they might not take it, or I could wear gloves :roll:
My race program isn't finished yet, I still have some things to do to be able to load up and go anywhere. Here are some things left to do
1) start the car
2) test the radios with me in the car
3) clean the trailer
4) load the trailer with spare parts chemicals etc (trailer is certified)
5) double check all nuts and bolts on the car
6) check all the levels
7) receive 4 rims I've paid for but are held up at the border
8) get crew uniforms

Most of these things I need help with but I haven't seen my new crew for what seems like 2 months but it's been close to that.
We've honored the safe distance rule.
Meanwhile I got many things done on my own.
1) pit cart competed, painted and lettered same as the car
2) air tank painted and lettered same as the car
3) tire carrier painted same as the car
4) gears sorted out
5) oil received from Quaker State and stocked away
6) spare doors, quarter panels and rockers painted

With my crew we could finish everything in 2 days, maybe one good day.
Here is some info on my 2020 Maritime Pro Stock Tour crew

Pit Crew Info
Ray Doucette
•Went to races when he was 5
•Fav drivers Rollie MacDonald-Jr Hanley
•Raced Go-Karts & Street Stocks
•Crew on Jason Roberts Championship season
•Crewed for Joey Livingstone Sportsman
•Crewed for George Kuskulics in MASCAR
•Moved to Alberta pit crew for a Pro Stock Team won 2 Championships as a spotter
•Will spot for our team in 2020

Bob Landry
•Started racing 1980
*1980 Street Stock Riverside Speedway
•1991-1992 Raced MacDonald Speedway Mini Stock Dirt won both Championships
•Won 6 cylinder Championship Riverside
Tracks Raced
Riverside-Macdonald-Oyster Bed-Shediac-Sydney-Liverpool-Bathurst
•Built 38 cars over the years (Street Stock Mini Stock and Six Cylinder Class)
Pitting for our team in 2020

Tyler Hallahan
•Passion for Stock Racing started after seeing pictures of both his grandfather Jim Hallahan and Dad James Hallahans racing. He wanted to carry on the legacy. His grandfather is in the Maritime Stock Car Hall of Fame
•Started racing in 2010
•Raced a 94 Pontiac Sunbird
•Finished 16th of 28 cars in points
•2011 raced a 98 Dodge Neon
•Won first checker….13th in points
•2012-started racing Sportsman at Scotia Speedworld
•Rough season finished 19th in points
•2013 raced Sportsman finished 10th in points
•2014- Took first Sportsman checker in a heat win finished 13th in points
•2015-raced a 2012 Toyota body took 10th in points
•2016-switched classes, went to Lightning Class
•Shared driving with a friend took 10th in points
•2016 Most Sportsmanlike Driver
•Stopped racing full seasons in 2017, 18 and 19.
•Plans to return to the Lightning class.
Pitting for our team in 2020

Jeff DeCoste
•2000 – 2004 Crew Member Sandy Ryan #57 Back Pocket Racing
•2003 Won Street Stock Championship
•2004 to 2017 Crew Member with Bob Landry #55
•2018- 2019 Crew Member Donald Chisholm #89 Maritime Pro Stock Tour
Pitting for us in 2020

Kerry Fry
•Started Racing at 8 years old
•Raced with AMKA Atlantic Maritime Karting Association from 2000 to 2010
•2002 Novice won Harry Harnish Memorial
•2003 Novice Season 3rd in Points
•2003 Novice Mid Season Champion
•2003 Novice points Champion
•2004 Novice Spring Classic winner
•2004 Novice Division 2nd place points
* Favorite drivers Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve

All these men are very nice just like all my crew members over the year.

2020 Ontario Pit Crew.

Jim Hulzinga
Started in Gary’s pit crew in the late 90’s
Won the 1999 CVM Championship
Competed with the CVM team until 2004
Became Gary’s Late Model crew chief and spotter in 2005
Won 4 features in our first 4 years, including our 40th Anniversary race on July 26th 2008.
Gary left Flamboro Speedway to go to Sunset Speedway after 2011.
Pitted for David Elliott from 2012 to his retirement in 2018 (won 4 Championships)
Started pitting again for Gary in 2019 as crew chief and head spotter
Went to every Autumn Colors Classic with Gary from 2013 to 2019.
Was part of this team for their 800th consecutive night in 2017th.
Head spotter for the "Ironman 72" Sunset Speedway September 2019....finished 4th in second feature

Troy Stere
I joined Gary Elliott Motorsports in 2008. I was active with this team from 2008 to 2012. Joining this team was by far one of the best things I feel I have done with my life. I honestly don't know where I would be today if it was for Gary, Big Jim, Jason, Perry as well as David Elliott and his team making me feel like I was part of not just a team but a family member.
2008 had its ups and downs and by far the best 2 nights and my favourite nights of that year are
1 Winning the feature on the night of the 40th anniversary
2 Placing second in the Sauble Speedway beat the heat 100
2009 was the season of 2. 2 cars and 2 full time tracks
2010 to 2012 were more of a part time season.
I returned part time mid to the end of 2018 and the off season from 2018 to 2019 became full time
2019 season heat win at full throttle motor speedway. Was also acting crew chief car chief head spotter on many nights taking lessons learned on spotting from both Gary and Big Jim.

Lloyd Lariviere
2015 to 2017
*joined us in 2015
*that year we raced 32 nights....great spotter
*finished 7th in Sauble Speedway points
*finished 5th in Full Throttle Motor Speedway points
*won our 36th career feature
*went to pit for the #56 team for 2 seasons
*will help us when we return to Ontario in 2020

Louie Halliday
*joined our team in 2016
*such a great help with maintenance
*skilled welder
*can do most everything for our team
*great spotter for our team when he was called upon
*very skilled at electrical
*Louie as the others will help us in Ontario

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Brian Watson
Recently I posted a picture of Brian Watson on the front page of our site. Brian was killed in a single car accident on April 29th. I have talked to his Dad twice, a great man, who was also part of my Late Model race team in 2005 and 2006.
In the mid 90's I met Dave through the Martin family. Nonie and I would meet Ken and Wayne for dinner or even coffee and sometimes Dave was there.
One day in 1999, Dave came to me and asked if I could use any help in my pit crew and I said yes. I thought he was referring to himself, but it was his son Brian who he wanted to be part of a race team. I gladly said yes.
Brian was a rookie, green really and would help us throughout the 1999 season and be part of our winning Championship season.
After 2 seasons Brian and Dave would start their own team with a car they bought from Brad Perry. They started racing with the Hobby club in 2002.
Over the next few years they would have decent runs and consistently stay in the top 10 in points in the very competitive Hobby club series.
In 2020 things got tough for the Watson family when certain members of the Hobby committee went out of their way to go after Brian. No doubt there was tension because the last thing any racer needs is to feel they are being picked on.
A DQ that resulted in both the Hobby Club and Flamboro Speedway staff penalizing Brian made them furious. It started in tech and would magnify when Brian left tech spinning his wheels and sending gravel flying. That caused the track to penalize Brian.
However over the next 3 days, a long conversation with the Hobby tech member revealed that there was prejudice and he would lift his penalty admitting he over reacted. He was happy that I called him but he did agree with me to lift the penalty.
That left the track to talk to. I called Don Cox who was the track manager and explained to him why Brian spun the tires and that he should never have been disqualified in the first place. After a long conversation with him, and an agreement to have Brian write a letter, all suspension were lifted and rightly so.
Dave was livid with the calls and as far as he was concerned they were done and not returning. I wasn't President that year but I knew something wasn't right. After getting both parties to lift the penalties, I visited Dave and told him the good news. He couldn't believe it, but was still upset because it should never have happened.
The next night we were racing at Sunset and they were going, it was too much for them. Deep feelings of being picked on was too much. But I wouldn't give up and told them to come to Sunset for the August 3rd race. Here are the results of that day.
4 x 6 Photo_-page-002 - Copy.jpg
4 x 6 Photo_-page-002 - Copy.jpg (134.76 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
When the feature was over I gave Brian an "Earnhardt" by driving into his side bar at the end of the race. Dave and Brian were ecstatic after that night and Brian would win a few more races.
God is so good and Brian had given his life to Jesus. Jesus didn't come to heal the healthy but the broken hearted. Many of us struggle with various issues. Depression is one but Jesus will heal us from that as well.
Thanks for visiting our site